Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The survey I conducted on twins yielded some very interesting results. My survey contained responses from sixteen individuals, the survey was open to anyone who had close contact with a set of twins. The surprising thing was that most individuals who took the survey knew relatively little about the twins that were present in their lives. If I were to analyze the results for this survey I would have to disregard all responses from individuals who were not the parents of the twins regarded in this survey due to the lack of substantial knowledge on the twins. A third of the participants were indeed a parent of twins. What I found most surprising when looking at the data I had collected was half of the parents who claimed to have a set of identical twins did not know what type of identical twins they were. After contemplating this discrepancy there are a few conclusions I have arrived at: The parent in question was a father, in which the type if identical twins he fathered would not be necessary information since he was not the one carrying the fetuses; the twins were born before medical equipment was discovered that could tell the way in which a mother was carrying identicals (although this was not the case in the survey all identicals were under the age of eight); lastly, it was never medically defined as to what type of twins the set in question really were which could cause the data to be misleading if they were in fact not identical but fraternal twins that happened to look very much alike. The parents were the only group that could tell me whether the twins were co-bedded, which I asked to determine the extent to which the twins were kept together after birth, possibly showing another reason for a close bond shared after birth. I wanted to look to whether identical twins were closer than fraternal twins. Throughout the questions and stories offered in this survey it seemed to show that identical twins do indeed have a stronger type of bond than fraternal twins. More would need to be done since this was such a small sample and it was voluntary participation. If I could do it again I would include more open ended questions as well as make stricter stipulations as to who is eligible to take the survey. Overall I found the results very interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment